- The authors:
Maria R. Nenarokova
- Issue:November 16th, 2018
- Pages: 11-26
- Section: Cross-cultural communication as a global problem in the modern world
- URL: http://conferences-ifl.rudn.ru/11-26/
The article focuses on the problem of the translation adequacy in the ХХ-XXIth centuries, the object being the form and content of Pushkin’s poem Winter Evening, translated into English. The study materials are seven translations of Winter Evening, existing nowadays.
translation adequacy, Alexander Pushkin, Winter Evening,
form, content, lexical equivalence
Maria R. Nenarokova
The Department of West-European Classic Literatures
and Comparative studies, A.M. Gorky Institute of World Literature
of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IWL RAS), Moscow, Russia
- Krylov, G 2008. The Etymological dictionary of the Russian Language. Victory, Sanct-Peterburg, 428 pp.
- Leyton, L.G. 1999. Pushkin in the English-speaking world. The Herald of the Russian Academy of Siemce. 2(69): 135-139.
- Nelyubin, L.L. 2003. The translatological explanatory Dictionary. 3d ed. Flinta-Science, Moscow, 320 p.
- Novikova, A. 1982. Russian Poetry of the XVIIIth – the first half of the XIXth century in folk songs. Enlightenment, Moscow, 192 pp.
- Ozhegov, S.I. 2008-2017. The explanatory dictionary of the Russian Language. URL: http://slovarozhegova.ru/ [Accessed October 15, 2018].
- Rozanov, I. 1952. Russian Songs. The State Publishing House of Fiction, Moscow, 403 pp.
- Baring, M. 1924. The Oxford Book of Russian Verse. Chosen by the Hon. Maurice Baring. At the Clarendon Press, Oxford, XXXIX, 211 pp.
- Bowra, C.M. 1943. A Book of Russian Verse. London, Macmillan and Co.LTD, xx, 128 pp.
- Cornford F., Polyanowsky Salaman, E. 1944. Poems from the Russian. Faber and Faber LTD, London. 74 pp.
- Hornby, A.S. 2018. Oxford Learner’s Dictionaries. URL:https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/a-shornby [Accessed October 15, 2018].
- Pushkin, A. 2002. The complete works of Alexander Pushkin. Vol. 3. Lyric poems: 1826-1836. Milner and Company, London, 262 pp.
- Lowenfeld, J. 2009. My Talisman. Pushkin’s selected lyrics in English translation. Pushkin Foundation, Sanct-Peterburg, 742 pp.
- My Poetry Forum 2018. Pushkin, Alexander. Winter Evening URL:https://www.mypoetryforum.com/Poem/Details/13781[Accessed October 04 2018].
- Poetry Lover’s Page 1995-2013. Pushkin, A. Winter Evening. Tr. Yevgeny Bonver. URL: https://www.poetryloverspage.com/yevgeny/ pushkin/winter_evening.html [Accessed October 04 2018].
- Tania-Soleil Journal 2018. Pushkin, Alexander. Winter evening. Tr. Walter Arndt. URL: https://www.tania-soleil.com/zimnii-vecherpushkina-na-angliiskom/ [Accessed October 04 2018].
- Tretyakov, A., Hunt, D. 2007. Oh, The Marvel That is Russian Verse!.. Russian Poetry in Translation. Song, Boston, 139 pp.
- Wikisourse, 2017. Pushkin, A. 1888. Poems. Boston, 1888. Tr. Ivan Panin. URL: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Poems_ (Pushkin,_Panin,_1888)/Poems_of_Nature#102 [Accessed October 15 2018].
- Zheleznova, I. 1984. “…And Poetry is born…” Russian Classical Poetry. Compiled and translated by Irina Zheleznova. Raduga Publishers, Moscow, 206 pр